Freedom from Cravings
IMAGINE A WHOLE DAY WITHOUT CRAVINGS
You just finished your healthy lunch. And now you’re craving something sweet. Or maybe Pirate’s Booty.
Over the next half hour, you’ll strain yourself with mental gymnastics: I’ve been pretty good with my eating so far today. I’ll have just a couple of M&Ms. Really, just a small handful. How much more do I have to do today? I really shouldn’t. But I love M&Ms. But I shouldn’t! I always do this!
One crumbled bag later, you can already feel the crash coming on. Through a heavy and heartless commute home, you imagine the night cap that helps you unwind. It’s chased by the mean girl that lives in your head: Why can’t you just fix this? What is your problem? Just like me and a lot of my clients did, you consider this vicious battle normal.
About Ali Shapiro
I’m Ali Shapiro, MSOD, CHHC, founder of Truce with Food®, keynote speaker, host of top-ranked podcast Insatiable, holistic nutritionist, integrated health coach and rebel with a serious cause.
I am academically, practically, and empathetically aware of how the medical-system, diet culture and body positivity movements all have their own flavor of crazy. Most concerning, each of those choices demands that we settle on the degree of freedom and results possible.
My blind spot
My Definitions of ‘Good’ and ‘Bad’ Foods were Flawed
I’d never learned that how we gain weight is a biology game. I thought if I avoided ‘bad’ food and ate ‘good’ food, the magic would happen. This is what I see with my clients, who could earn Ph.Ds in dieting. Their ideas of good and bad food are based on what they’ve read, not what they’ve experienced.
Cravings and thoughts of food are hunger signs triggered by blood sugar levels.
You think you should work harder on correcting bad habits. But it’s not you or bad habits at the root. It’s that your biology and your food are mismatched.
Absent cravings are the signals that your biology is balanced.
When you learn the mechanics of what your body needs to correct imbalances, your definition of healthy food changes. Cravings and snacking vanish, and you feel energized, productive, hopeful, and focused.
It took me seven years to figure out what was healthy for me. I gained 20 pounds in the process of figuring it out, giving myself permission to “eat whatever.” I weighed the most I ever weighed in my life. I was about to return to dieting.
Until I discovered the food-biology connection, and everything started to fall into place. The food-biology connection is the right percentage of proteins, fats and carbs.
Rather than feeling like I had to yield to a plan, I had a flexible plan I could bring with me wherever I went.
I would have never believed this had I not experienced it — and the side effect of weight loss — for myself.
Did you know your so-called bad habits – like eating too many samples at a grocery store, craving sweetener in your coffee, or “caving” to pre-dinner temptation – are actually signs your body is starving (even if your stomach is full) because you aren’t eating what it needs?
My clients agree
They often tell me after they emerge victorious from cravings and continual snacking that they just thought this was ‘how they were wired.’ Some lose weight. Some sleep better. For many, emotional eating diminishes. Many notice their clothes fit better as they flush out the bloat from inflammation caused by the wrong combination of proteins, carbs and sugar. All feel the relief of knowing they’re finally on the right track.
After completing my Freedom From Cravings program, you’ll:
- Know what foods are good for you.
- Crave those very foods.
- Eliminate the cravings you hate.
- Put your hormones on a path to healing so your period cravings and emotions don’t derail you.
- Be able to organize your plate with the right amount of protein, fat and carb amounts that you can recreate at home, on-the-go or when you’re out to eat. You’ll have a sweet combo of enough structure to not have cravings yet have the flexibility you need so you can choose from what food is available.
- Be in control of your hunger.
- Have the confidence to know what changes to make when real life happens, like poor sleep or extra stress, so you don’t overeat.
Here’s what the right combination of proteins, fats and carbs feels like on daily basis:
- Waking up in the morning filled with energy that doesn’t require a kickstart of sugar and enormous amounts of coffee.
- Feeling satisfied all morning, after lunch and right up until dinner without needing a little extra something to get you through the gaps.
- Not needing mini-meals or tons of snacks to keep hunger at bay.
- Arriving at the end of your work day with enough energy to get to the gym or evening plans.
- Not fantasizing about what you will eat at night when you’re coming home from your day
- Not craving dessert after dinner because your blood sugar’s rebounding from a day of being ignored.
- Looking forward to a good night’s sleep, because now you know how to eat to make sure you can fall and stay asleep.
Word on the street
All of this is possible.
Learning how to free yourself from cravings isn’t about willpower. It’s not about ‘caving to cravings’ or not falling into that dreaded downward spiral. It’s about changing your biology and feeling satiated, optimistic and energetic.
And, rather than just thinking this time will be different, it actually will be.
It’s time for a lasting win. It’s time to find Freedom From Cravings.
5 WEEKS TO CRAVING-FREE DAYS
Freedom From Cravings is an at-home, self-paced coaching program strategically divided into five lessons so you have time to learn and implement. It’s built on the core Truce With Food® framework, giving you a flexible framework that adapts to your lifestyle, and covers you when you’re on-the-go or don’t have time to prepare food.
Freedom From Cravings is delivered through audio (with transcripts), "I have that in my fridge" recipes to experiment with, and video lessons of food diary reviews so you can see what crashing blood sugar looks like in real life.
Discover whether you do best with a Vegetarian, Mediterranean or Paleo inspired diet. Determine what types of proteins - plant, animal or a mix - work best for your body. You’ll learn what to eat at breakfast, so you arrive at lunch wanting to make the healthy choice. Plus, two easy morning lifestyle changes necessary for a craving-free day.
With a more energized, focused and craving-free morning, it’s time to learn what you need to eat to support your metabolism at lunch. You'll also learn two gentle lifestyle changes to guarantee craving-free afternoons and nights.
Feeling less hunger and cravings, you'll figure out how much you need of this #1 missing food that prevents cravings, especially after your meals.
Without the right carbs for your metabolism, we binge or overeat on bad carbs. Discover which carbs, and how much for your body, will actually prevent cravings and provide the energy you need to do all you want to do.
How we eat at dinner and afterwards sets up our cravings for the next day. Learn how to tweak your dinner so you feel satiated, get a good night's sleep and wake up feeling refreshed (instead of groggy).
Many diets and plans seem to forget: You live in the real world. Learn these key food tips when you don’t get enough sleep, have PMS, after a big work presentation - or after a binge.
Freedom From Cravings comes with:
- Five brief and easy-to-understand audio lessons, plus the bonus lesson, to listen on-the-go.
- Edited audio transcripts. Great for visual learners or those who are hard-of-hearing.
- Instructional videos to fast-track your learning by seeing real life clients’ food diaries. You’ll see how I helped them recognize and course-correct their blood sugar crashes (not their ‘weakness’ around food).
- Easy-to-implement tips, action items, and recipes that lead you through each lesson.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question not addressed here? Feel free to write to me: email@example.com.