It’s Time For A Dieting Ceasefire.
It’s time for a Truce with Food (Enroll now for May 1 start!)
When you feel calm instead of conflicted while home alone at night with cookies (or any carbs) or natural versus awkward or tempted when ordering the healthy choice (sans alcohol) out with a group of people, making the right food choices becomes easy. But getting there, understanding why you don’t do what you know you should, is where your true work resides.
Pulsing beneath all diet plans, transformation stories or weight-loss television is the message that food is the enemy, a temptation that must be guarded against to achieve victory: a hot red size six dress that will barely contain your high voltage self-worth (gone are the days of cladding yourself in all black armor).
You dehumanize your body, the “enemy”, so you can attack it with insults rather than understand your hunger and cravings.
Motivation wanes. You tire of tracking and monitoring calories. You are never off duty from guarding against surprise calories attacks. Stress builds.
Discipline supplies are rerouted because of too many exercise boot camps, gearing up for detoxes, and social land mines. Then there’s post-traumatic dieting guilt that adds insult to injury.
Rinse and repeat.
Retreat and reload.
To get out of your battle with food, you must become the heroine, the authority, in your quest for a Truce with Food™.
Truce with Food Is for You If:
- You are driven and successful on paper, but can’t seem to get this “food and weight thing” under control.
- After years of adding up points, counting carbs, and doing the occasional quick fix (cabbage soup anyone?), you realize pre-packaged plans don’t work but aren’t sure what will.
- You’re nutritionally savvy—which is a blessing and a curse at this point—but overwhelmed with not knowing who to believe.
- You’re tired of thinking about and feeling tempted by food all the time.
- In theory you know you need to listen to your body, but aren’t sure what it’s saying.
- You know it shouldn’t matter, but you daydream about how much life would be better life would be if you lost weight.
- You’re in a transition and know rebooting your health would provide the necessary clarity and energy to expect more from your next stage in life.
- You need a customized, holistic solution that considers all of you: your health history, desire not to cook every meal from scratch, and the realities of a non-trust fund life.
I've lost 44 pounds that I know won't come back.
Truce with Food enabled me to identify the triggers and corners that Marge, my saboteur, hung out in. I was able to face her head on and know I could win in these feuds. My conflicts with Marge went from daily to I barely see her!
Truce with Food is such an insightful program and so far, I’ve lost 44 pounds that I know won’t come back. Ali leads you through the steps in such an encouraging way that it doesn’t feel hard or scary. It just fits! She gives you the tools and understanding to pick the path that works best for you. There’s no one way to do things or rules. It’s the best time and dollars I have ever invested!
There was no one size fits all approach...
I can't believe the progress I've made in Truce with Food compared to 10+ years of unnecessary dieting. This program can help people with different issues (overeating, over-exercising, over-analyzing, or people who need more nutritional guidance) using relatively the same method. On the other hand, there was no one size fits all approach and that was welcomed.
Ali and the whole group have helped me find my radiance that was buried for years.
Before Truce with Food, I found myself bingeing while I was on the road for work. I knew what healthy habits I needed to follow—I’d been trying for YEARS. Truce with Food was eye opening and enabled me to figure out what was really going on. Since Truce, I have not binged at all—not once! I now recognize and honor the challenges of traveling for work and rather than binge, I find other ways to take care of myself. I am much more kind, gentle, and at peace with myself. I'm on a quest to bring my own radiance to life and this program brought this need and desire to light. Ali and the whole group have helped me find my radiance that was buried for years. I am forever grateful.
The Truce with Food work involves looking at your biology, psychology and social factors related to food—a comprehensive process with training, tools, and coaching— to help you feel at ease and natural around food. You’ll learn how to replace conflict with curiosity, discipline with inspiration, and deprivation with feeding your deepest hungers.
After Truce With Food You Will:
- Understand your own unique process for weight-loss.
- Know exactly which foods work best for your body.
- Be confident in tuning out conflicting nutritional noise.
- Get rid of dieting baggage and feel more natural around food.
- Feel back at your full-potential.
- Think significantly less about food, which will free up energy for what matters most.
- Gain natural control over your appetite.
- Eliminate and understand cravings.
- Know why you self-sabotage and the tools to correct your course.
- Cook with healthy ingredients in less time than ordering out.
- Have a repertoire of new foods to prevent boredom.
- Be an advocate in your health care versus a passive recipient.
- Experience real results without feeling like you’re on a diet.
- A completely new mindset to help your success continue to build after Truce with Food.
After decades of dieting, Truce with Food was the biggest insight and change into my eating habits.
I couldn't be happier that I found you and your tribe, Ali Shapiro. After decades of dieting, Truce with Food was the biggest insight and change into my eating habits. Your support in Truce with Food is invaluable. I now know myself so much better and what issues I've been carrying around for decades. Your insights are brave and profound and I couldn't be more grateful. You made me feel more comfortable in my skin, know why I eat the way I do, and given me a lifetime of knowledge I can keep going back to.
I am living my dreams out each and every day with a greater awareness...
I used to focus on fad diet after fad diet, hoping that I would find the golden ticket to results and happiness. Ali helped me relax around food and trust that I could make my own decisions, without a diet dictating what to do. She showed me how to deconstruct my cravings and insatiable appetite by helping me understand what parts of my life needed work in order to receive joy from things other than food. Through our work, I redesigned my life to be more meaningful and inspiring. In turn I was happier and lost the need to overeat and obsess over food. Before I used to put a lid on the pot that I called "wants and desires,"now I openly embrace them. I’m living with a greater awareness around not only health and nutrition, but my life.
I have permission to listen to my body and not the magazines.
I have permission to listen to my body and not the magazines! It’s a really a sweet combo of ease and awareness! I have much less judgment and more empathy for myself and others.
The Truce with Food Program Is:
- A one-of-a-kind program created and taught by Ali Shapiro, MS, CHHC, a client-described Swiss Army Knife of wellness who uses the tools of a nutritionist, trainer, and psychologist.
- Delivered via phone, online, and written materials so you can participate from anywhere in a way that works with your schedule.
- A four-month nutrition and personal discovery process: May 2014 – August 2014.
- A boutique health coaching experience. You will be supported by other incredible women and also receive individual attention from me (I love rolling up my sleeves to support you in moving forward in big ways).
This trailblazing curriculum is:
- Part coaching in the lifestyle and emotional shifts necessary to remain motivated and overcome self-sabotage.
- Part functional medicine to help you understand what foods are your medicine.
- Part supportive and dynamic community of bright and motivated people ready to support each other in calling a Truce with Food.
Now I have a healthier diet, and a more balanced approach to life in general.
I was feeling out of control with my eating. I knew I needed to eat better and lose some weight, but was reluctant to go on a "diet" since the results aren’t sustainable. Now I have a better understanding of how what I eat affects me, a healthier diet, and a more balanced approach to life.
Truce taught me a different approach to eating healthy...
Truce taught me a different approach to eating healthy, inspired me to cook more and with different foods. My cravings and night snacking have decreased ever since.
I can make much more informed choices about the foods I want to put in my body. Yay!
In all the years I have spent thinking/worrying/obsessing about my weight and what I should or shouldn't be eating, your explanation of blood sugar was the first I ever really understood. Previously, I had a vague idea of how it all worked but you broke down the relevant information and presented it in such a way that it actually made sense. Now I can make much more informed choices about the foods I put in my body. Yay!
This is not a plan but a life saving journey.
The value of this program is learning a new way to eat and knowing there’s a way to control my habits. This is not a plan, but a lifesaving journey.
Truce with Food taught me how to stop being so hard on myself.
Striving for perfection in the way I eat only led me to deprivation, feelings of guilt, and ultimately just hating my body. Truce with Food taught me how to stop being so hard on myself.
I feel like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders...
The questions Truce with Food raises were excellent at helping me analyze parts of my thought process I had never questioned and beliefs I hadn't realized I was living by. A huge weight has lifted from my shoulders and the way I look at food has changed dramatically. It doesn't hold all the power it did before.
The Truce with Food Curriculum
Unlike diet plans, this process begins by adding new foods in, naturally changing your taste buds and cravings. Gone are the days of thinking of yourself as a machine built for calorie processing. Truce with Food is a comprehensive and tailored process targeting the deep-rooted emotions and beliefs that keep you in a rut. It is composed of four stages:
Act 1: Connect Body + Brain:
Learn how your blood sugar and gut health affect your moods, hunger, and cravings.
Act 2: Restore Motivation:
Discover how to keep yourself motivated in good times and bad.
Act 3: Face Cravings:
Clarify why you self-sabotage and learn the best tools for you to move forward.
Act 4: The Scale Revealed:
Understand how to feel confident and in control now, so you can enjoy your weight-loss and well-being journey.
After the course, all the materials and the online discussion group continue to be available to you, so that you remain part of the Truce with Food community. You’ll have access to the network of Truce with Food participants and can swap recipes, connect with those facing similar healthy living challenges, and much more.
Spring 2014 Bonuses
Over the years, I’ve had the rare opportunity to be able to collaborate with the top thinkers and doers in wellness. To add to the comprehensiveness of the Truce with Food program, I’ve curated some of the best in the field to teach along with me in a series of master classes.
You’ll have the opportunity to learn from:
Andrea Nakayama from Replenish PDX will speak on thyroid disorders related to a sluggish metabolism and autoimmune issues. She’ll discuss the root cause of these disorders and which tests you should ask your doctor for to ensure you’re genuinely supporting your thyroid and it can then, support your health.
Brandon Mentore, an elite trainer, will speak on how to identify your body type and its influence on your exercise goals and identify the top exercise mistakes that cause people to gain weight. You’ll workout smarter, not harder.
Jennifer Fugo, founder of Gluten-Free School will discuss the benefits of going gluten-free, separate the facts from the hype, the best way to approach going gluten-free and sneaky places you’d never suspect gluten.
Heather K. Terry, co-owner at Nibmor Chocolate, will dive deep into sugar, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), facts you may not want to know but need to and will provide the healthiest ways to enjoy your favorite sweet treats.
Tara Sophia Mohr, a women’s leadership expert and founder of the Playing Big Program discusses how your inner critic can throw you off emotional balance, landing you in the dessert aisle and how to work with this voice to feel more powerful.
Bob Schoenholtz, M.S., ATR-BC, LPC, a leading visual imagery therapist, discusses how weight issues can be a result of unresolved pain lingering in the body. Just because your type-A personality has moved on, doesn’t mean the body has. You’ll learn how visual imagery therapy is different than talk therapy, the ways of knowing aside from thought that will help you release weight and how healing these old wounds restores your confidence, taking the pressure off of your weight loss goals so you can enjoy your wellness process.
The difference in how I look and feel is amazing and I’ve never looked better.
Ali’s step-by-step approach opened my eyes to the other aspects of my diet that needed to be adjusted. The difference in how I look and feel is amazing. If you’re serious about changing your life through what you consume, I cannot recommend Ali’s program highly enough.
How It Works
The Truce with Food program is entirely virtual: based in phone, written, and online formats, so that you can participate from anywhere in the world, and in a way that works with your busy schedule. We’ll maintain a community feel and support through the online Facebook group.
The Truce with Food program includes:
- A four month adventure (May-August) with 12 insightful modules.
- Each week, a recording will be released, along with corresponding exercises to deeply understand the material. Each Thursday, we’ll have a live Q+A call to discuss the content, ask questions, and receive personal coaching from Ali. Call times will vary to accommodate the different time zones of participants. If you can’t make the calls live, no big deal. Many people listen to the recordings throughout the course and get the full value of the program. You’ll also submit assignments to Ali for accountability and deep learning. We’ll have three weeks on, one week off each month.
- A guide and set of worksheets for each module
- Guest interviews from experts on the leading edge of health and wellness— like founder of Replenish PDX Andrea Nakayama, Playing Big creator Tara Sophia Mohr, and Jennifer Fugo, founder of Gluten-Free School.
- An online forum where you can connect with other participants, get support, ask questions and get feedback in between sessions. Our community will stay available to you long after the course ends–you’ll have this network for years to come.
Why I Do This…
- After 20 fruitless (and lost) years of dieting, I discovered something wasn’t wrong with me, but it was the outdated dieting models that were broken.
- Having had cancer as a teenager, I didn’t want to embark on any plan that was unhealthy.
- After learning about nutrition as medicine, I reversed my own asthma, allergies, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), and depression through food and lifestyle changes. Knowing how precious our health is and the empowerment that comes from taking control of it, I wanted to help others do the same.
- In health coaching other lovely people, I discovered I wasn’t alone in having such a complex relationship with food. And if that relationship with food isn’t fixed, it’s near impossible to make the nutritional changes needed to improve any health condition from fatigue and cravings to autoimmune disorders like hypothyroid.
- Like me, my clients weight loss occurred as a by-product of healing their bodies and stress. Changing their food empowered them in other ways that had them leading lives more aligned with their dreams and desires.
- I went back to graduate school at the University of Pennsylvania to study coaching and change management so I could build a process to help each person exactly where they are in their health and relationship with food.
- I created Truce with Food based on academic theory, real world client successes, and my own personal insights of having walked the path.
- My secret agenda with Truce with Food is to redirect all the energy and resources consumed by dieting and reroute that power into social change that will provide people with the confidence, meaning, and recognition that is projected onto weight loss. Weight loss is a side effect of feeling confident and engaged with your life.
Food isn’t your enemy, it’s your medicine. Weight isn’t fat, it’s stored potential. Truce with Food isn’t just a program, it’s an opportunity and adventure for you to blaze a new trail in your lives and community.
I bring to this program:
Seven years of coaching people all with different health goals, concerns and needs. I’ve supported people with depression, migraines, pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder, hypothyroidism, and more.
With me, you get a truly integrated practitioner, unattached to any dieting dogma. You get the practicality of my functional medicine studies and Masters degree from the University of Pennsylvania. You also get my holistic understanding from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and the Institute for the Psychology of Eating, which contributed to my understanding of the missing factors of all the diets I’ve seen on the market.
You also get my expertise in the change process: I have walked the talk, witnessed and supported hundreds of clients in their transformation, and studied how adults change. I know nutrition, the emotional connection and how to teach it in a way that makes it useful and usable for adults.
And then there’s my personal experience. I started my first diet at eight and was at a Weight Watchers weigh-in when I was 11. I struggled with various health ailments from asthma to depression until the time I was 26. At 34, I am at a healthy weight and food doesn’t define my thoughts or me. I’m healthier than I’ve ever been, especially emotionally, and have become a strong advocate for managing my health despite the complex currents of U.S healthcare.
Truce with Food was for me a journey of knowledge.
Truce with Food was a journey of knowledge. Learning not only what to eat and what not to eat, but why we eat what we do. Truce gives you the knowledge to gain the power to eat respectfully for your own special needs allowing you to reach and maintain your goals.
Each component - the group sharing, the recipes, the workbook, your approach - was valuable.
I joined Truce with Food as I was curious and hopeful to learn something new, something that would really matter about individual weight loss and nutrition since it’s not all about working out and eating healthy—there is so much more to weight loss. Truce with Food finally got me to eat breakfast because I found foods that keep me full until lunch. I now eat a full lunch without getting tired after I eat. Smaller dinners are also welcomed as I am definitely not as hungry for dinner and have been eating less. I also finalized my transition into my new workout routine. I was getting too tired to work out after my job and my life was all about work and workouts M-F, boring. Now it is as if Truce gave me permission' to find ways to have fun again after work. I do not own a scale for fear of obsessing like I have unfortunately done at some point in the past but my husband confirmed, while hugging my hips, that some inches are gone. Each component, the group sharing, the recipes, the workbook, your approach, was valuable. Groups have so much power—you were good Ali, the way you gauged the group and did not let your beliefs overpower other's that at times were different. The sharing was powerful.
It was much, much more than food.
Yes, I could have just focused on just the food but it was much, much more than food. Emotional triggers came into play that I never realized would have such an impact. The support from the group really helped me to better understand and accept these emotions and the toll they were taking on my health. The best part is it offered a really well thought out and balanced approach to making peace with your emotions along with strategies to live the healthiest journey you can live. It’s changed my outlook and I’m now on a better path.
Truce with Food™ FAQs
How is Truce with Food different from other weight loss coaching programs?
Truce with Food is the only program I know of that addresses the physical, emotional and spiritual side of food. My strength is in understanding all three parts and how they interlock together. The programs I’ve seen tend to address one or maybe even two but not the overlap. Truce with Food is like hiring one general contractor to manage a total renovation versus hoping a fleet of contractors are in sync. This holistic understanding is necessary for the degree of change most people are looking for and for those results to last.
Can I get reimbursed for Truce with Food through my insurance?
If you have an FSA or HSA account, most likely. I’ve written dozens of receipts for client’s FSA and HSA accounts. Most programs reimburse for any type of nutritional counseling and coaching. I recommend checking with your plan specifically for an exact answer. I’m happy to write you receipt.
If there’s no plan, how will I know what to eat?
A plan will certainly develop as you go along. But it will be a plan based on your body, your health concerns (i.e. hypothyroidism, fatigue, depression, etc.) and so it will feel like you are in control because you are. Everyone’s body is different – that statement isn’t just a marketing strategy.
Will I lose weight?
As you’ll learn in the program, lasting weight loss is a byproduct of the body getting healthy and reducing stress. While about 80% of people lose weight in Truce with Food, given the nature of weight-loss, anyone with a respectable medical background will tell you it’s impossible to guarantee weight loss results.
I have medical conditions that make weight loss difficult (i.e. joint pain, auto-immune issues), will this program still work for me?
Absolutely. Weight loss is a side effect of a physiologically balanced body. The program focuses on creating the internal conditions for this balance, which support all health conditions. While health conditions are multi-factorial, you’ll understand how to nutritionally support these conditions.
I’m busy. Will I have time for this?
If you can dedicate about three hours every two weeks, yes. Participants have said this program actually creates time for you by learning the foods to give you more energy and clarity.
I’m not looking to lose weight but do want to enhance other areas of my health. Can this program help?
Absolutely. In discussing digestion and blood sugar, the two foundational systems of the body that influence all of today’s chronic conditions, you’ll do that. And, being healthy isn’t just about being free of disease. It’s about emotional well-being, which Truce with Food focuses on heavily.
Do I have to become a master chef?
NO! I’m actually referred to as the lazy chef’s guide to cooking. All the recipes are really simple, no exotic ingredients only found where foodies hang out and can be cooked for multiple days. Plus, you’ll learn how to eat out and make the right choices so you don’t need to cook all the time.
How do I know if this program is right for me?
This program attracts a wide-ranging audience across traditional demographics. Some commonalities are a love of learning, open-mindedness and wanting to be in control of one’s health. It also attracts realists. People who understand change takes time but want as direct a route as possible while feeling inspired along the way.
What if I sign up and change my mind, or what if my life just gets super busy?
Truce with Food has more than a 95% completion rate, with fewer than 5% of participants not completing the course.
Second, all program materials are yours for life — so even if your schedule happens to change, you can still get the full value of the program when you’re ready. However, if within the first 30 days of the program, you find it isn’t working for you, and you have completed the program materials and worksheets we’ve done so far, let us know, and your tuition will be refunded.
I’m having technical trouble signing up.
No problem. We can help. Just email email@example.com and she’ll get you all set up.
Honestly, I feel nervous about signing up. I don’t want to waste any more money on a diet or plan that isn’t going to work.
You definitely aren’t alone. Side-by-side the hopes of things really being different are the voices of, “I’m just always going to struggle with my weight.” or “I’ll wait till there’s a better time.” And both of those can be true. But here’s what I have found: the longer you wait to change your relationship to food, the more entangled and complex it becomes. And that is lost time you will never get back. I still mourn the lost years and opportunities I felt held back by my weight. Truce with Food is truly different than anything you’ve ever tried – I don’t have a slick marketing bone in my body.
I’m still not sure.
I get it. I am a Pittsburgh born and bred smart shopper. Here’s what I tell my clients when they are navigating these decisions that feel pivotal. Feel it in your body. Try on the decision for a day. How does it feel to know you are enrolled in Truce with Food? Do you feel hopeful, curious and already supported? Or does it feel heavy, “off” and another thing you are going to have to check-off your box? Ultimately, you have to be ready, open and willing to make the commitment. There’s no right or wrong. My hope is that you go with the decision that bets on yourself and not your fears.
In the meantime, if you’re still on the fence and would like to explore whether this program is a good fit for you, let’s chat. You can easily setup a time that’s convenient for you here (promise no hard selling, it’s not my style). Don’t be shy.